Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Getting out of the house and into bumsville

I think this blog is becoming less of a beauty blog and more of a "look what I did/buy" blog haha. Mind you I haven't been buying much make up items lately (trying to save up some money!!) so been blogging less about make-up. What I have though, are an almost complete collection of pictures of my mascara, so hopefully I will be able to post that up soon.

On to the topic at hand. This past weekend I tagged along with my friend and went to the Powell Street Festival located in Oppenheimer Park. This is actually my first experience at a festival in Vancouver aside from the Chinatown Festival that I am required to go due to work (but don't really like it). The Powell Street Festival is basically a Japanese festival. I didn't really like the location, it's basically within the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, and full of bums (hence bumsville). I wasn't expecting anything grand from it, but I was pleasantly surprised! There were actually a lot of people there, and the food was not bad at all. There were only a few vendors, but there's a lot of hand made stuff. I love these crafty things, so it was very enjoyable for me.




and look! people actually rode bikes! It's great! This year they had a green theme so everything was "let's save the trees!" they had people standing at the garbage areas making sure people are separating the recycling from the trash. on their website they also note that the food and drinks they are selling on site are in either compostable or recyclable containers.




just look at that crowd, it's insane! Well not really, but definitely more than I had expected


and they set up a stage for people to perform, though I found it funny that a lot of the performances were done by white people. When we just arrived it was a Taiko drum performance, and there were a bunch of white ladies knocking on drums, it was quite odd.


they had a lot of these giant paper cranes tied on trees. Not the best looking cranes but you don't see them that giant!


naturally I drift towards the food area...yummmmm




Red bean pastry! I love these things! They were made right there and then, it was still really hot when it got on my hand. These were a bit on the pricey side @ $1.50 each, but I haven't had one that good since I was back in Taiwan.



Takoyaki!! SOOOO GOOODDD!!! as you can see I complete forgot to take a picture of it when I got it and immediately started eating. It wasn't until my friend reminded me that we needed to take a picture that I took this half eaten one. The batter was really yum, it was soft and melts in the mouth while being very flavorful, and there's a big chunk of octopus in every ball soo chewy!


I saw these girls sitting around and though I'd take a picture of them cuz they are all in their yutakas (I want one!)


here are some pictures of a random store!




these hand made cards are so cute and pretty! :)



these are paper sculptures! They are soo delicate, I would love to learn how to make these!



blown glass jewelry/accessories. I love the little bird key chain, but it was a bit pricey for my dinky salary (2 for $15) But I am kind of regretting not getting one, they are sooo cute



I think these are made from wool, they are just decorations, but so cute!



tiny kimonos for barbie! they are soo adorable! These are hand made too



just some t-shirts from the festival, the first one is kinda funny if you know Chinese LOL


another hand made booth, seems like all the stuff they sell are hand made.





they even have balloon fishing! I originally thought it was fishing fish, like in Taiwan, but was a bit disappointed when I found out it was just balloons.

Well! That's it for pictures. If I have someone to go with I might make this a stable :)

Until next time, live well and shop LOTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment